One of my contributions to our Thanksgiving feast is a tasty spinach dip for munching before the main meal.
I got this recipe from Miss. Jamie Gentry.
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots (from 2 large shallots)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (from 3 cloves)
- 10 ounces spinach, rinsed well
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 medium-ripe avocados, chilled
- 1 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 12 ounces sugar snap peas
- 9 small slices pumpernickel bread, cut into triangles
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook shallots and garlic, stirring often, until tender, about 4 minutes. Add spinach and 3/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, covered, until wilted, about 4 minutes. Uncover. Cook until liquid evaporates, about 7 minutes. Refrigerate until cooled, about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, puree avocados, yogurt, lemon juice, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a food processor until smooth. Season with pepper. Finely chop spinach mixture. Stir in avocado puree. Serve with snap peas and bread for dipping.