Set yourself up for success before you snuggle in:
1. Make a ‘no electronics rule’ 30 minutes before you turn off the lights. No TV, no computer and no phone.
2. Take a warm bath with several drops of lavender oil right before you put on your pajamas.
3. Do a 5-10 minute mediation. Keep a pad of paper nearby so if any nagging thoughts arise from your day you can write them down and then return to your meditation.
4. Practice 3 yoga poses before bed. Keep it simple. Good poses for nighttime are: legs up the wall (Viparita Karani), shoulderstand (Salamba Sarvasgasana) and reclined butterfly (Supta Baddha Konasana.)
5. Reflect on your favorite moment from that day before you close your eyes to sleep.
6. Have a cup of chamomile tea. Chamomile has sedative properties and has been used for hundreds of years as a sleeping aid.
7. Rub 1-2 drops of lavender oil on the back of your neck before you crawl into bed.
8. Get an eye mask. It may seem indulgent, but it can take you to that upper level of amazing sleep.
9. Give yourself a foot rub.
When you wake up:
`10. Get an alarm clock that you enjoy waking up to. Chimes or flutes are soothing sound options.
11. Sing in the shower.
12. Smile, even if you don’t feel like smiling. Smiling has been proven to make you happier.
Sleeping is your body’s way of resetting. Getting high quality sleep will make you a happier person. Invest a little time and energy to make your bedtime a restful experience.