I discovered yoga at the age of thirteen. I wish I would have found it sooner. As a child, I dreaded sports and gym class. I wasn’t fast or strong and it left me feeling excluded. Yoga is beneficial for all types of kids. There is something in it for everyone.
1. Non-Competitive: It’s all in the name of self-discovery. No stop watches and no score-keeping just good old-fashioned fun.
2. Partner Poses: Free reign to hold hands with your neighbor and crawl all over classmates, parents and siblings.
3. No Volume Restrictions: Kids can be as loud as they want. It is, however, amazing how quiet children become in Savasana after barking like a (downward-facing) dog for an hour.
4. No Wrong Answers: Yoga is kid-directed, for example, if a child sees a lion during a ‘yoga ocean adventure’ you better believe we do lion pose.
5. Puppets: Puppets are awesome. The end.
6. Adults Love it: Kids like to be included in adult activities. Yoga is something they can share with their adult family members.
7. You Can Do it Anywhere: No equipment required. Yoga can happen at a park, in a living room, a classroom or a bedroom.
8. Yoga Can Last a Lifetime: These itsy bitsy yoga sessions can plant a seed that will grow into a lifelong yoga practice.
9. Permission to Bounce Off the Walls: Kids are natural-born hand-standers. They love it because they are egoless and fearless.
10. It’s Not Just Yoga: It’s dancing, counting, creating, collaborating, acting, playing, improvisation, story-telling, singing, chanting and…it’s totally fantastic!
Want to teach Kids Yoga? Do your training with me! Click here for details.